Sunday, October 08, 2006

Friends

I got a great support email today from a friend. It's great to hear support from people inside and outside the congregation. When I was working at Dell, I didn't care much about aclamations or fame. As long as I hit my outrageous quota and got a good paycheck, I was happy. Save the plaques and certificates and cheerleader meetings for someone else. Just put that money in my check.
But being outside of sales, I see things a little different. I don't need affirmations to know I'm a great speaker or anything like that. I need communication to know my congregation is growing spiritually. I need to know I'm getting thru. Better yet that the Holy Spirit is getting thru.

How does a pastor know this?? A growing church? More of the congregation in Sunday School? Larger offering each Sunday? Worldly, those are really the only way to measure success in a church. There is no spiritual meter that you can run each person thru like a metal detector to give you a "spiritual mean" for everyone. unfortunately. :o)

It's good to hear from friends. Not just a pat on the back, good job, but also accountability for where improvements can be made. I can't grow if I don't know where it fertilize.

Blessings....Pastor Sean

No comments: