Wednesday, September 20, 2006

You can't please everyone

These words were given to me before my first day as a pastor. They are so true. Some people want the church to go this way. Some want it to go that way. And the best part is they know exactly what it takes to go there. My job as the pastor is to pray and follow God and only God in where he wants HIS church to go. There will be those that get upset with a word or phrase I use. Step on some toes, and boy...look out. I start to get the cold shoulder. I know it's hard, but follow me as I follow God.

There is a great article that Dan Russell wrote called Screaming Users Considered Good. You can read it HERE.... below is a small excerpt.

We all know our users can have really strong opinions about our stuff. And we all know we need to listen carefully.
My very favorite user comment of all time came from a young woman who had been using this cool design tool (something I’d built) for about 12 weeks. At the end of the project, I was doing the standard debriefing of the users, asking what they liked and didn’t like, what worked, what didn’t work, what was frustrating… the usual sort of post mortem on a project.
She told me that my software, my baby, the thing I’d been working on for the past 2 years was “..the most white male fascist tool I’ve ever had the misfortune to use…”
I was somewhat taken aback.
“Ah, yes…” I stalled for time, desperately trying to hold it together. “And what made you feel this way?”

No comments: