Thursday, July 27, 2006

Get to know me

How do you get to know other people? How do they get to know you? The Methodist church moves pastors around every 3-6 years. There are good and bad consequences to this. Our church is right now a student pastor appointment. Basically, they are not big enough to pay for a full time pastor. Completely seriously one person told me yesterday they thought pastors should be making six figures. Well I don't think most should make that. More would always be better :o).
Some congregation members will open right up and become friends right away. That's nice. It doesn't seem like I'm on an island. There are others that have not opened up. It's only been a month so I can't be critical. I like me and totally trust me, but they don't know yet. Plus when you have poured out your heart to one pastor and then they leave, I think you might start to second guess about barring your soul to another that will be gone in a few years. I can't fault them for that. I can only do my 3 Ps of ministry....prayer, preaching, pastoral nurturing.
My goal is to see this church grow to support a full time pastor and I am here for 8 years. Stability for the church, stability for my family. What does that growth look like?? I'm working on that.
Summer is coming to an end and ministry will start back up. Men's ministry is coming together, Youth is slow - but coming. Building committee will be interesting. Only those supportive of building a FLC are being picked. I just have to keep the focus on the goal....Building disciples for Jesus Christ. Everything we do must be for that goal. Nothing else matters. Someone would say, "Pastor Sean, how is having a team of men adopt a single mom or widow to do all the "honey do's" accomplish that goal??" Men don't like church much. Traditional church is kind of boring and some contemporary church is a little to lovey dovey. But being able to do true ministry and help someone in need will get a man fired up. Christianity is not about sitting in the pews Sunday after Sunday. Christianity is taking care of the poor, widow, incarcerated, etc. Hands and Feet of Christ.

I know God thru Christ Jesus. I want to know how your soul is. Not so I have an illustration for my sermon, but so we can relate-communicate-know each other. I'm never too busy to talk or listen. Condemnation is not in grace. Get to know me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»